2000 MEDICINE BRANDS NOW CHEAPER

 

Today more than 2000 medicine brands treating common conditions will drop in price – some by as much as 50 per cent or more – for millions of Australians.


This week more than 2000 consumers have gone online to see how much they can save on their Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medicines.

An online spreadsheet contains the full list of medicines that will be cheaper for non-concessional patients from today. In some cases the saving is up to $20 per medicine per script.

The Health Minister, Sussan Ley, said: “I encourage consumers to visit the website and be fully informed about the steps the Government is taking to ensure all Australians have access to affordable medications when they need them.”

This can be accessed on the PBS website.

Ms Ley said the reductions are the result of the PBS Access and Sustainability Package reforms, which passed Parliament last year.

“These changes will see the originator or first listed brand version of the drug removed from certain medicine pricing calculations, allowing the average cost of the cheaper, generic brands to be used instead.”

More than 80 per cent of the 2000 brands of medicines to fall in price today will result in a direct saving to consumers. The remaining 20 per cent – those priced above the general PBS co-payment of $38.30 – will result in savings to taxpayers.

The list below sets out the 10 biggest savings for non-concessional patients from 1 October 2016: