Backing Small Business
Small business is the driver of Australia's economy, underpinning growth and innovation and providing jobs for millions of Australians. Unlike Labor, Tony Abbott and the Liberals stand for real action to keep costs down and protect small businesses from union bullying. We will always back small business to grow our economy and create jobs.
Helping small business
We have an economic plan for Australia – a plan to help small businesses grow and create stronger jobs growth.
Employing almost half of the workforce in Australia, small businesses are the real “job creators” in the economy. By unshackling the small business sector we will unleash the potential of small businesses to grow and create more jobs.
Lowering taxes and reducing business costs
We will reduce costs for every business by cutting taxes: by abolishing the carbon tax and cutting company tax.
- We will stop small businesses paying 10 per cent more for their electricity and 9 per cent more for their gas bills and paying more for everything else they need by abolishing the carbon tax.
- We will deliver a modest company tax cut, funded from savings in the Budget.
Cutting red and green tape – removing the burdens on small business
We will cut government red and green tape and reduce the regulatory burdens that small businesses face – so businesses can become more productive and devote their energies towards business and jobs growth.
- We will get businesses growing by cutting red tape costs to business by $1 billion each year.
- We will streamline environmental approvals through a State-based one-stop shop environmental approval process. This will save time and money, cut down on paperwork and boost productivity.
- We will require Parliament to spend two days a year removing legislation and regulations to help ease the burden on small businesses.
- We will allow small business to send one payment directly to the Australian Taxation Office for superannuation and then the Australian Taxation Office will do the rest, if that’s what small business would prefer.
- We will give employers the option of ‘opting in’ to managing the administration of Paid Parental Leave to their employees. If they choose not to be the government’s paymaster, payments will be made directly to the employee. This will relieve small businesses of their role as paymaster of the government’s inadequate Paid Parental Leave scheme.
- We will have a genuine Paid Parental Leave scheme and we won’t force small business to do the paperwork for it. Our scheme will benefit small business because it will make it easier for them to retain capable female staff.
Doubling the annual rate of small business growth
We will double the current annual rate of growth of small businesses because we understand that small businesses are the real ‘job creators’ in our economy.
- We will achieve an annual growth rate in the numbers of small businesses of 1.5 per cent – the same rate the Howard Government was achieving. We will then be adding more than 30,000 new small businesses each year. That’s double the rate achieved under the current government.
- We want small businesses providing more than half the jobs in the private sector because that is where people get a start in life, that is where entrepreneurship is fostered and innovation happens. This is an important part of building a more productive nation and is at the heart of building our economy.
Reviewing competition laws and policy
We will conduct, for the first time in two decades, a root and branch review of competition laws and policy and deliver more competitive markets.
Extending unfair contract protection to small business
We will extend unfair contract protection currently available to consumers, to small businesses. We will ensure that big and small businesses get a ‘fair-go’ and do the right thing by each other in their respective marketplaces, delivering real and lasting benefits to consumers.